Topic: Fire TV Stick
If you’re wondering what a Fire TV Stick actually does, then you’re in the right place!
In a very non-technical way, I’m going to be explaining to you the basics of what a Fire TV Stick is and what you can expect from it.
What Is a Fire TV Stick?
Amazon’s Fire TV stick is one of the easiest-to-use streaming media stick out there.
Wait… What’s a streaming stick?
These sticks are super tiny devices that you can plug into your TV (must have an HDMI port) so you can watch your favorites like YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, Disney +, HBO, Apple TV, and so much more
You can also go on millions of websites, like Facebook and Reddit, and play games.
The small size of the Fire TV stick means you can bring your favorite TV shows, movies, and apps with you wherever you go!
And, if you’re like me, you’ll have enough to watch using your Fire TV Stick that you’ll want to cancel your cable.
How Does the Fire TV Stick Work?
The Fire TV Stick works by plugging it into your TV, setting it up (really easy) and then enjoying apps by Netflix, YouTube, Facebook, and so much more!
It basically turns most (or maybe all?) HDTVs into Smart TVs.
Here are the basic steps I had to follow to get my Fire TV Stick 4K to work.
- Using the power adapter and USB cable included in the box, I plugged the Fire TV Stick into a wall outlet.
- I then plugged the Fire TV Stick into the back of my HDTV (you need to insert the stick in the HDMI port, in the back of your TV).
- I had to select the appropriate HDMI input (the button on my remote control I had to use is actually called “source”). You MIGHT not have to do this step at all, depending on your TV.
- I then pressed “Home” on my remote to pair it with my TV (make sure the batteries are in). Then, I was asked to press play/pause to start installing the Fire TV Stick.
- I followed the instructions, which included:
- Selecting the language
- I filled in my WI-FI info.
- The Fire TV Stick will then install itself (it took me 3 minutes or so).
- Then I registered my Fire TV Stick with using my Amazon account’s email address and password (or you can create a new account if you don’t have an Amazon account).
- Then you’re asked if you want to set up parental controls (optional).
- Then you’ll be asked what apps you want to download. I chose Netflix, Prime, Youtube, Firefox, and a bunch more.
- Then, I was brought to the main menu (home) so that I could start enjoying my Fire TV Stick.
Just follow the basic, step-by-step instructions on the TV. It’s REALLY easy and made for non-techies!
And you can pause, rewind, fast-forward, adjust the volume, and power your tv on and off by using the Alexa remote included with the Fire TV Stick 4K (with Alexa Voice Remote).
The best part?
You can also talk to your Alexa remote to control your Fire TV Stick!
Does Amazon’s Fire TV Stick Need Internet?
Yes, you need the Internet for the Fire TV stick to work. More specifically, you need access to a WI-FI connection.
Is There a Monthly Fee for Fire Stick?
You don’t actually need an Amazon Prime account to use a Fire TV Stick, so there’s not going be any monthly charge to use it.
I’m an Amazon Prime member, so I get Prime Video for free. And then I added an extra feature called Amazon Stack TV.
I also have a subscription to Neflix (it’s super cheap) Plus, using this Fire TV stick, I also watch a lot of YouTube videos for free.
I have enough TV shows and movies to watch with the two paid accounts mentioned above, plus all the free stuff I can watch, that I canceled my cable and it costs much less.
Amazon Fire TV Stick Channels List
For a complete, up-to-date list of Fire TV Stick channels, check out this Fire TV Apps list on Amazon.
My favorite apps on my Fire TV Stick are:
- Youtube: FREE
- Prime Video: Watch Movies and TV shows. Included free with an Amazon Prime account. Try Amazon Prime’s 30-day FREE trial (cancel anytime).
- Netflix: Watch Movies and TV shows. Free 30-day trial then monthly subscription (cancel anytime).
- Disney +: Includes Disney classics, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and more. Free 30-day trial then monthly subscription (cancel anytime).
- Kids for YouTube: FREE
- Tubi: Watch Movies and TV shows for FREE.
- Facebook: FREE
- Firefox: Browse the Internet for FREE
- Candy Crush Saga: FREE
Is the Amazon Fire Stick Worth It?
Would I recommend the Fire TV Stick to my family and friends?
I really think the Fire TV Stick is worth it, especially if you’re looking for a streaming device that is extremely user-friendly.
Plus, it’s really affordable so there’s not a lot of risks when buying this little streaming device.